Subject: Re: remote GDB of kernel
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1999 12:46:07
At 07:46 AM 12/6/99 -0600, Greg Oster wrote:

>My /etc/ttys for tty01 looks like:
>tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure local
>
>(I seem to recal that the 'local' part was important)

That seemed unlikely to me when I first saw it (after all, why should a the
settings in /etc/ttys of a tty marked as "off" matter to gdb, which never
reads that file?), but it turned out to be the magic key! So, I can now
remote gdb the kernel.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

>You can also hit CTRL-c within gdb at any time, and the remote
>kernel will stop and wait for you to debug it :)

Although I entered "set remotebreak 1", this part doesn't seem to be
working; instead, it just waits forever. If I set a breakpoint at the
beginning, I do get control back when execution reaches the breakpoint,
though, and I can single step after that. So it's only the break key stuff
that doesn't work.
This does make things inconvenient (I have to reboot the machine to switch
from "using" mode to "debugging" mode), but is still a much better
situation than I had before!