Subject: Re: PPP woes
To: Jukka Marin <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1999 16:08:58
According to Jukka Marin:
>Why am I using LCP in the first place?  Because for some (unknown) reason,
>the PPP link tends to lock up (sometimes it takes several weeks before this
>happens, sometimes only hours or so) and the simplest way to automatically
>recover from this is to use LCP echo.

Hmmm interesting.  I can reasonably reliably lock up my ppp link by
remotely displaying an X emacs session over an ssh login.  It does not
happen right away but sometime during a medium length mail message the
link will drop.  I can see packets go out but the remote end does not
respond _but_ the other end still tries to send traffic which does not
get responded to.  I have seen this behaviour when the other end is
both a Xylogics annex and a Cisco router.  My modem is configured for
"hardware" handshaking.  My workaround at the moment is to not use X
forwarding as not using emacs is NOT a solution ;-)