Subject: Re: wscons
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1999 19:51:23
On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> andreas@planix.com said:
> > I have one of the screens defined as  wsdisplay0: screen 5 added
> > (80x50bf, vt100 emulation)
> >
> > On most boots, this screen shows a broken underscore character in
> > place of any character with a blank attribute. All characters, incl
> > space show up "back on black".
>
> That's probably another problem: The X server overwrites the 8x8
> font stored in the VGA card. This is fixed in our xsrc tree -
> I should have forwarded the fix to the Xfree people perhaps:-(
>
> Don't know how much Xfree version 4 differs from what is in our
> tree, perhaps the appended patch helps.

The file is now in ...xfree86/vgahw/vgaHW.c and it's a lot cleaner
than it's 3.3.5 counterpart. There is a '#if 0'd section below the
#define FONT_AMOUNT which I believe will turn on font saving. I
enabled it and I still have a completely black screen, even with the
80x50 font but the bold fond (as in NAME, SYNOPSIS and DESCRIPTION of
the output of 'man') shows up with the right intensity. Reverse video
is very very dim. It looks like regular intensity characters are
displayed at such low levels that they are invisible.

--
    - aew