Subject: Re: RAID suggestions
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1999 14:11:51
Peter Seebach writes:
> I'm trying to evaluate RAID solutions.  Here's what I've come up with
> so far:
>
> * RAIDframe (sp?  caps?) is pretty neat, but may not interact well with
>   soft updates yet.
> * DPT SmartRaid IV is useless unless you have MS-DOS to boot to and run
>   their setup program.
> * DPT SmartRaid V can't be driven by any free OS, ever, under any
>   circumstances, because they require an NDA.
>
> That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but the I2O people were trying VERY
> hard to make everything stay secret.
>
> Anything obvious I'm missing?

IMHO you're missing the SCSI <-> SCSI RAID solutions!  It shouldn't be
absolutely necessary to have a support controller for RAID, you just
need a support SCSI controller.
Example:
	Ultra Wide SCSI controller (Adaptec 2940UW, Advansys 3940UW/U2W)
	Enlight Raid Chassis or EN8700 hot swap bay
	Enlight SCSI <-> SCSI RAID controller (EN8800)
	Attach up to 42 disks.

This would then be fully supported RAID, no DOS, no BS needed.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.