Subject: Re: RAID suggestions
To: None <>
From: Jay Maynard <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1999 11:36:12
On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 11:21:08AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> I'm trying to evaluate RAID solutions.  Here's what I've come up with
> so far:

Disclaimer: I'm working for Compaq in the Storage Products Division, but not
within 5 layers of management of someone who could speak for Compaq.

The Compaq SMART array controllers are supported under Linux; the Linux
driver could probably be ported to *BSD without a lot of work, and since
Compaq owns the driver, I believe a ported version could be relicensed
acceptably to BSD (the guy who's the official owner here is not a GPV
zealot) as long as it was made clear that Compaq wasn't going to support it.
(Right now, Compaq's rushing headlong toward Linux; they'd support BSD if
they had the resources.)

That said, you'd still have to boot DOS to run an array configuration
utility, but executable floppy images are downloadable from Compaq's web