Subject: Re: send-pr IPv6 patches?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/1999 15:57:04
On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 02:17:47PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <19991202133758.A9353@acm.org>,
> Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no> wrote:
> >I just made a patch for syslogd to support IPv6 and am about to
> >send-pr it. This made me wonder whether it might be a good idea
> >to have a separate send-pr category for IPv6 patches, just like
> >there's one for y2k? Opinions?
> >
> >BTW, will it be considered a bug in NetBSD-1.5 if a userland
> >program does not support IPv6. I.e. is full IPv6 support
> >scheduled and required for 1.5? (Any rough ideas yet on when
> >1.5 will be released, BTW?).
>
> It is unclear that we'll be able to port all programs to use
> IPV6 in time for 1.5. It is a good thing to consider, and I
> would support creating a PR category for it.

I think most of the userland work that needs to be done is relatively
simple work once you know the new socket APIs, so in principle a
lot of people could make useful contributions here (I mean you
don't have to be one of the elite-kernel-hackers for this);
provide patches and/or help build up a ToDo list. I think it
would be nice to be able to advertise NetBSD-1.5 as the first
OS with full support for IPv6.

Feico.