Subject: Re: which echo.c would you choose?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1999 15:32:34
>> So how do you output only -n?  echo -n -; echo n?  Seems silly.

> You don't, of course!  This is why ksh has print, which has
> well-defined semantics everywhere,

Aren't ill-thought-out "standards" lovely? :-P

> and why the \c, though uglier, is "probably right".

It has its own problems, though.  In particular, if you have a string
that might - but doesn't necessarily - end with \c, it's ugly to get it
output.  You can

	echo "$string"\\n\\c

but if $string includes any backslashes, it's going to get mutilated by
the time it makes it to the output.  This is why I said I'd prefer echo
and echon, or some such.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca