Subject: Re: aic at isa broken in current?
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1999 17:49:18
On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 03:47:40PM +0000, Julian Coleman wrote:
> Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Could you try a kernel without the :
>
>   ss*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?              # SCSI scanners
>
> ?  The code (based on PiNT) only supports a few models of scanner and doesn't
> support 'userland' SCSI.  Without this, the scanner will then show up as an
> unknown device (uk0).
>
> I wonder whether this line should be commented out in GENERIC kernels, now
> that SANE is available.

I'd vote for total removal from the tree. I don't believe it has
(many) users left and it is i386 specific or at least little-endian
specific (there are bitfields used in it). I don't think there's
anybody willing to spend time on it in the future, and scanning
the Net for info a year ago it seemed that PINT was quite dead too.
So, I'd say get rid of that ugly piece of code in the NetBSD tree,
that only seems to cause trouble for users.

Feico.