Subject: Re: Man pages and hyphenation
To: Mike Hogsett <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/1999 08:43:07
On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 03:23:22PM -0800, Mike Hogsett wrote:
> Hyphenation in the man pages seems to be broken.  Please note the
> "<AD>" in the last sentence of the second paragraph of the description.
> I would fix this but I am not sure where to start...

What sources did you built this from, on what architecture?

This happens, when the manual pages are built while

and you use old sources (where I'm not sure how old "old" is). Nowadays,
those variables are reset before formatting the manual pages.

The <AD> is a iso-8859-1 soft hyphen, and if you use LESSCHARSET=latin1, it
is only displayed (as a hyphen!) when at the end of a line..

You can read about this in the mailing list archives.