Subject: Re: Man pages and hyphenation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/26/1999 19:07:05
> Hyphenation in the man pages seems to be broken.  Please note the
> "<AD>" in the last sentence of the second paragraph of the description.

>      explained in the individual manuals.  Traditionally, the value 0 signi<AD>
>      fies successful completion of the command.

Character 0xAD in ISO 8859-1 is a hyphen character.  (One reference I
have at ready hand calls 0xAD "HYPHEN" and 0x2D, the usual `-', "MINUS
SIGN".  What happened to the other two common dashes - the en-dash and
the em-dash - is a possibly interesting but distinctly minor question.
Depending on things like your display device, why you're seeing "<AD>"
instead of the hyphen character may or may not be a further mystery.)

I'm particularly aware of this because I noticed it myself a while
back, that the catfiles were getting 0xad in them instead of 0x2d; I
sometimes use Latin-1-capable display devices and sometimes not, so I
noticed the difference.

Why the catfiles are ending up with 0xad instead of 0x2d, that's a good
question.  But it's not as simple as "hyphenation is broken".

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca