Subject: Re: Netbooting && mountd ...
To: None <>
From: John Kohl <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1999 20:01:34

IS> I think the problem is that NFS operates on (filesystem-id, inode) - tuples,
IS> so the server can not distinguish requests.

Most NFS servers I've seen have file handles with three parts:  a length
cookie, an exporting file system (fsid/inode/gen) tuple, and the file's
(fsid/inode/gen) tuple.  So it is possible to keep track of which file
handles should be usable by which clients, even if the access lists
differ within a file system.

I haven't looked inside NetBSD's file handle generation code yet--maybe
it doesn't make this sort of thing possible?

==John Kohl <>, <>
Home page: <>
Bicycling and Skiing to keep fit.