Subject: yp performance
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Rungi <blackbox@openface.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1999 14:40:37
Hi,

I'm building a couple of YP maps based off of a text passwd file with
approximately 3000 entries.

For some reason, the makedbm phase takes approximately 0.5 to 1 second for
building "passwd.byuid" maps, but 25-30 seconds to build "passwd.byname" maps.

I have 3 different YP "domains" so this means I'm building "byname" maps 6
times (once for "passwd" and "master.passwd" each).

This accounts for about 75% of the "make" time, and its getting to be measured
in minutes, which is rather annoying.  The rest of the time appears to be
largely being taken up by yppush.

Why do "byname" maps take several orders of magnitude longer than "byuid" maps
to build?  Does anyone have any easily implemented suggestions for speeding up
makedbm(8) in this case?

--
Erik Rungi
blackbox@openface.ca