Subject: NFS soft mounts?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1999 10:01:41
Hi,
The mount_nfs -s option doesn't seem to be doing what I'd like it to.
I've got a directory that is exported (read-only) by the server, which I
would like to mount from a client.  If I mount it using the -s and -i
options to mount_nfs (i.e. -o -i,-s or "-i,-s" in fstab), the client
should be able to recover if the server goes down, right?  I've been
testing this by killing off the nfsd processes on the server.  With -i, I
can interrupt the system calls (although I'm not sure -i is getting passed
from fstab).  But, even using -s, requests never seem to timeout.  The man
page says they will timeout after "Retry" tries, but where is "Retry" set?
Is that just the -R option value?  It is only read-only, so I don't see
why it should be so difficult for the client to handle the loss of the
server.  It seems I can't ever umount the directory unless the server us
up.  Am I missing something?

BTW, this is NetBSD-current/i386 (on the server) and NetBSD-1.4.1/i386 on
the client.
Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                       University of Waterloo, Computer Science
rickb@iaw.on.ca                               http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/