Subject: Re: FreeBSD FibreChannel support
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/1999 13:57:24
>What gives?  Why wasn't this committed to the NetBSD and FreeBSD trees,
>too?  I mean, it's not like the version in the NetBSD tree works anymore
>since you removed the firmware (on-board firmware on most of the adapters
>I have is way too old, for example).
>
>Any reason NetBSD and FreeBSD don't just lift the firmware images you
>committed to OpenBSD?

Because what I did was wrong. It should also be removed from OpenBSD.
I've had extensive discussions with Theo about this, and the f/w will
probably be removed from OpenBSD as soon as the tree unlocks post 2.6.
Unless Qlogic agrees to a BSD style licence. So far, they've not been
helpful at all.

One alternative I've been discussing with the Qlogic folks is to flesh
out their beta linux driver to have these f/w sets, and point people
at them. There are many possible ways around this, and for this, and
I think it's a huge pain, but it really should not have been handled
the way I handled it so far.