Subject: I can't get PPP to work any more
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1999 14:41:28
Once upon a time, before the days of cable modem, I used to be able to
connect my mac68k system via PPP.  While I had the cable modem, the PPP
facility was neglected, and now that I have moved and no longer have a
cable modem, I want to reconnect via PPP and find that I cannot.

Tip connects to the modem on the serial port just fine.  When I try to
run PPP, though, it doesn't even try to connect, and just spits out the
message:

pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I
pppd: couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.

Huh?  That looks like a dial-in message, not something which should be
happening when I'm dialing out.

This is the command that the script is spitting out:

pppd /dev/tty00 57600 connect /etc/ppp/ppp-connect /etc/ppp/ppp-numbers /etc/ppp/ppp-login /etc/ppp/ppp-chat

I've looked in the manual and all the other info I can find, but cannot see
anything wrong with that command.

Can I buy a clue?

In case it matters, here's (hand-copied) output from stty -a on the port:

ispeed 0 baud; ospeed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
        brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl oxtabs onocr onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
        -cdtrcts
cchars: (buncha things which probably don't matter)

Thanks,
~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

"Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?"
		-- Lily Tomlin