Subject: Re: none
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1999 21:33:13
On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 01:25:46PM -0500, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> > What sound hardware do you need to support AC3 though, to get 5.1 channels?
> > 3 sb16s? ;-)
>
> BTW, there are also some cards with S/PDIF output, which can
> theoretically handle 6 channels of raw PCM.  I'm not sure any of the
> cards actually support that, though.

From http://www.netexcite.com/audiopci/:

'1373 Details (10/28/98) Ensoniq's new 1373 processor sports an SPDIF (digital)
port via an 1/8" to SPDIF jack, which is also shared for analog output.  The 1373
automatically switches between analog and digital. Using the digital aspect of this
port, the 1373 provides Dolby AC3 5.1. This two front, two rear, and one virtual
center speaker configuration will be great for DVD movies.'

The 1373 card I have does work with the 1371 code in the eap(4) driver,
but unfortunately I have no easy way to test the S/PDIF functionality.
Still no 1373-specific documentation either..

--
Soren