Subject: Re: DECchip 21143 and the tlp driver.
To: Hal Murray <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/30/1999 02:27:24
On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 11:56:26AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> [Tulip kicking up the when-to-start-sending knob.]
> > This happens minutes after the machine is up with only the most minor bit
> > of traffic on the wire.  After it has step to "store-and-forward" there is
> > no further such changes.
> When/if that happens depends upon the speed of the PCI/memory interface
> on your system.
> The machines I normally work with don't go through that dance until
> I put a lot of network traffic through the Tulip, and even then it
> probably needs some other PCI work to provoke it.

Or a broken PCI chipset or BIOS.

I had a motherboard once that did this *all the time*.  I just looked
and it appears to mis-set the PCI latency timer for all non-builtin
PCI devices to 0.  Somehow I am not surprised that the Tulip might have
trouble pushing data across the bus fast enough, if it has to relinquish
it after every cycle...

Thor Lancelot Simon
	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"