Subject: Re: DECchip 21143 and the tlp driver.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1999 10:08:40
brad@anduin.eldar.org (Brad Spencer) writes:
>    > 2) Falling back on the de driver...  I have a 10/100 ethernet switch that
>    > can do full duplex and the auto probe finds that it is connected to a
>    > 100Mbits full duplex port, as expected.  However, it appears that an
>    > output error is generated [or at least recorded] for every every packet
>    > sent down the wire.  Slightly annoying, but I don't know if this is
>    > significant.
>
>    What swicth do you have ?
>    I have a cisco 10/100 switch I don't have this behavior under 1.4.x.
>    Maybe your board and switch dissagree on the half/full duplex settings ?
>
> The switch is a Linksys 5 port.  I also have an 8 port down the hall in
> the closet.

When I had an early SMC etherpower card that didn't autonegotiate I
found that I could never get it to switch media correctly without the
interface being down for a while before and after the media change.

	# de1 comes up 10BaseT
 	ifconfig de1 down
 	ifconfig de1 media 100BaseTX
 	sleep 1				# this is crucial
 	ifconfig de1 up

BTW my D-link 4-port DFE-570TX comes up ok so I never had to force the
media to upshift.  I do see the fifo heuristics being changed if I
really beat on the PCI bus.  This will only happen to me if I tar(1)
on an NFS-mounted system.  The combination of hot-n-heavy disk I/O and
network I/O appears to starve the PCI bus.  I do make sure I put my
ethernet card in the slot closest to the CPU, which I am told on my
intel al440lx board gives it a higher priority.  That might be why I
don't see it more often.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>