Subject: Re: Making bootable fdsets, Copying Win95
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1999 01:33:36
[Why carton@ivy.net moved this to current-users I don't know, but it
might as well stay here, I s'pose.]

>> (The real need is to fix a Windows box that won't boot, and I intend
>> to do it by cloning the disk from another box that is fine.  [...])

> This often won't work because FAT filesystems change shape depending
> on the disk's c/h/s geometry, so it's conceptually impossible to copy
> one from one disk to another without understanding the filesystem,
> unless both disks are of identical geometry.

I wouldn't even consider this unless the disks were identical.  (So far
I haven't investigated in detail, but the machines are part of a pile
of about two dozen all bought together that are at least supposed to be
all identical.)

> [...Windows recovery goop...]

A trifle off-topic for current-users, perhaps, but I'll save it in case
I have to resort to it.  It is NT, though, not 95, that I need to patch
up...so it may not work.  But I'll save it anyway, in case.

>> how do the multi-floppy sets work?
> They are USTARFS.  [...] /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/fdset*

Thank you.  I'll poke around.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca