Subject: Re: Input errors on interface
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1999 21:32:04
On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 12:00:02PM -0400, Rick Byers wrote:
> What exactly can cause the "Ierrs" on a network interface?  It was my
> original understanding that they should basically never happen (aside from
> hardware failure).

This depends on the hardware and driver.

Some drivers configure the hardware (if it can be configured that way) to
never accept broken packets, and not tell the cpu about it, so you never
should see IERRs. There's one exception however: I think ierr is incremented
by some drivers if they can't get an M_DONTWAIT mbuf to put the data in.

	-is