Subject: Re: Modem Board recommendations for NetBSD - i386
To: None <>
From: Andrew Gillham <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1999 01:00:42
Thor Lancelot Simon writes:
> Oh, boy.  What's a 16850, and who makes it?  The 16750 (TI) looked
> like as nice a part as the 16650 (Startech) but was never widely adopted
> and we don't have driver support for it except in 16550 compatibility
> mode.  Is the 16850 made by TI, Startech, or someone else entirely?

The only reference I found quickly was '' where they
talk about their XR16C850.  I guess it has 128 RX, 128 TX fifo, and
some other semi-fancy stuff. :)

Claims compatibility with the 16650A, and 16450/16550.  So I guess it
should work, but would need something like the Hayes ESP hack to enable
the fancier stuff.  Seems like SIIG had a list price of $179 for the

Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank                     | inadvertently.