Subject: Re: How to identify NetBSD ELF kernel?
To: Pavel Roskin <pavel_roskin@geocities.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/1999 11:58:27
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:51:13 +0400 (EEST)
 Pavel Roskin <pavel_roskin@geocities.com> wrote:

 > IMHO it's impractical to duplicate all features of GNU GRUB in every
 > bootloader. I mean support for 4 filesystems, filename completion,
 > forthcoming netboot support, forthcoming IsaPNP support (if I don't
 > upgrade my AWE64 before that :-))

NetBSD's bootloader supports a large number of filesystems, too:

	FFS
	LFS
	ISO-9660
...EXT2FS would be easy, and MSDOSFS is probably not far off.

...NetBSD already has ISAPnP support in the kernel.  Why does it need to
be in the bootloader?

Filename completion?!

 > Can anybody give me a fresh kernel? I mean it should be compiled with the
 > latest tools and contain the Elf Note section. Sorry, I cannot afford
 > trashing my NetBSD installation right now.

NetBSD kernels don't have the note sections in them.  Only userland binaries.