Subject: Re: How to identify NetBSD ELF kernel?
To: Pavel Roskin <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/14/1999 11:58:27
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:51:13 +0400 (EEST)
 Pavel Roskin <> wrote:

 > IMHO it's impractical to duplicate all features of GNU GRUB in every
 > bootloader. I mean support for 4 filesystems, filename completion,
 > forthcoming netboot support, forthcoming IsaPNP support (if I don't
 > upgrade my AWE64 before that :-))

NetBSD's bootloader supports a large number of filesystems, too:

...EXT2FS would be easy, and MSDOSFS is probably not far off.

...NetBSD already has ISAPnP support in the kernel.  Why does it need to
be in the bootloader?

Filename completion?!

 > Can anybody give me a fresh kernel? I mean it should be compiled with the
 > latest tools and contain the Elf Note section. Sorry, I cannot afford
 > trashing my NetBSD installation right now.

NetBSD kernels don't have the note sections in them.  Only userland binaries.

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <>