Subject: Re: Vuegscan 620S
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1999 17:16:48
According to Berndt Josef Wulf:

>Many thanks for your information. I didn't relize that the ss* devices
>were indeed specific to the Mustek and HP scanners.

Neither did I until it bit me.  At least when you tried accessing the
scanner didn't cause a kernel panic like it used to :-)

>The whole process went along a lot further after rebuilding the kernel
>using the uk* devices option as suggested above.

Excellent.  We probably should put a kprintf into ss.c that logs a
message to say that ss does not work for this scanner.  Or even just
make the ss driver work with all scanners by plugging in the code to
read & write a generic scanner.  Simplistically, this would mean a cut
and paste of the relevant bits of the uk driver.

I may just float the idea past tech-kern.  Since we have sane in the
package set I can see no reason for the TWAIN style driver being the
default, we probably should make TWAIN optional and generic read/write
driver the default.  It would stop more questions like yours where you
thought you were doing the right thing but you were not really - I did
exactly the same thing but a bug in ss.c made me look at the code and
work out that the ss device driver was not going to drive the scanner
I had.

>ICQ     : 18196098                     |  VK5ABN, Nairne, South Australia

Yikes! another person from South Australia - I thought I was the only
one in the state ;-)