Subject: Re: Vuegscan 620S
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1999 11:35:46
Brett Lymn wrote

> According to Berndt Josef Wulf:
> >
> >NetBSD detects the scanner correctly and attaches it to /dev/ss0. I've
> >also created a link from /dev/scanner to /dev/ss0 as described in the
> >documentation.
>
> Don't use the ss driver for your scanner - that will only work with HP
> and Mustek scanners.  There is no "generic" scanner read code in the
> ss.c kernel source.  Instead, comment out the ss line in your kernel
> config and define a uk device that matches your scanner's scsi ID,
> config, build, install the new kernel and reboot.  Use the uk device
> as the scanner device and you should get a bit further.

Many thanks for your information. I didn't relize that the ss* devices
were indeed specific to the Mustek and HP scanners.

The whole process went along a lot further after rebuilding the kernel
using the uk* devices option as suggested above. Furthermore, using the
SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN environment variable, I was able to correct some of
my configuration problems.

In order to get support for the Vuegoscan 310S and 620S, I had to
use the latest snapscan backend package, replacing the existing files
in the sane-1.0.1, which is part of the NetBSD packages tree.

The latest snapscan backend version can be found at the following site:

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~charter/SnapScan/snapscan.html

Although, this version has still a few remainging bugs, it is by now
means a show-stopper. Sofar I've managed to work around it and
produced some nice scans with gimp ... :)

Thanks again

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes