Subject: Re: Hardware trouble question...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1999 14:54:04
Ted Lemon writes:

> Are you sure you want to put data on a drive that's flaky now?   I
> mean, the usual cure for the problem you are describing is to just
> whack the drive sharply near the spindle >>while it's not
> spinning!!!<< but this is a way to get the data off of a broken drive,
> not to continue to use a drive that's sure to fail permanently fairly
> soon.

Actually many seagate hawks that I've had the "stiction" problem work
quite reliably once they spin up. (e.g. running for months without
problems once they are spun up by "rotating" the drive sharply)

Not that I would recommend using problematic drives, but if you want
a 4GB web cache, or whatever, you might be set.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.