Subject: Re: CVSsing methodology
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1999 11:01:20
On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 03:26:04PM +0200, Urban Boquist wrote:
> > rsync://rsync.netbsd.org/anoncvs
>
> This is great! A big thanks to whoever set this up!
>
> However, pkgsrc and xsrc is not (yet?) part of this. Is that intentional?

This was never a supported service and places a great load on the FTP
server (because rsync's scans basically evict all data from the vnode
cache and cause a huge amount of disk I/O).  Some of us involved with the
official AnonCVS effort were surprised to notice that this was there.  If
the people who set it up care to add pkgsrc and xsrc, I suppose they will,
but it's also a fair bet that this will vanish at some point in the future.

It's only not been removed now because of concern about the performance of
the official AnonCVS server.  Of course, considering what this does to the
performance of the FTP server... well... it's far from clear that this is
a win overall.

We are working on providing more and better AnonCVS mirrors (including one
in Finland which will have the crypto-intl CVS tree available) and by
the end of this week there will be at least one new U.S. mirror announced
and one in Northern Europe.  This is the supported way to get the NetBSD
CVS tree.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"