Subject: Re: Problems with wd0 on a laptop with current 19991003
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1999 12:06:03
According to Manuel Bouyer:
>I'll try to reproduce this but I can't promise it will be 'soon'.
>You may have to wait a week.
>If someone else finds the problem I won't mind :)

OK - I can live with the hard disk being powered up all the time.
Just means I need to remember to recharge the battery more often and
even if I forget I can try out the power point on the train (haven't
done that yet :-)

One interesting piece of information which may or may not be
relevant.  I did have the disk timeout in the bios set to 3 minutes.
I have increased this to 30 minutes which is the maximum, there is no
turning it off according to the bios.  After doing this the lapdog
seemed to be better but I don't know if that is just a fluke or if the
bios is getting in and spinning down the disk behind the kernel's back
and thereby confusing the wdc driver.