Subject: Re: Portal file system...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1999 13:57:19
On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:21:46PM -0500, Brian C. Grayson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 01:51:35AM +0200, Feico Dillema wrote:
> >
> > Now, I'm desparate for a (short-time)
> > solution and was wondering whether I could get rid of these NFS mounts
> > by use the portal file system instead. The NFS-mounts in question
> > mount anonymous ftp-dirs from one server (ipv4-only) to the ftp
> > dir of another (dualstack). I understand I should be able to replace
> > this with a portal mount.
>
>   A portal mount will never allow you to do 'ls' on its
> subdirectories.  If you always know the exact paths, then this

That's a pity. So, essentially the portal works only for files, not
for directories? Still, your description is interesting. I might
actually try it, and make a little script that makes a symlink mirror
tree of the ftp-site. As I have access to both ftp servers this is
not difficult, just run the script everytime the original ftp-site
gets updated...  Would be interesting to try and see how it performs.

Should be pretty good, as the new mirroring server is really a
frontend to the old server which acts mainly as a storage/backend
server now (just to ease migration and for replication). Also,
there on the same 100Mbs Etherswitch, with 10Mbs (1x IPv4 and 1x IPv6)
connectivity to the outside world, so wasting some internal bandwidth
is not a problem...

>   Hope this helps.  It might be easier (but less cool) to just
> fix the NFS problem.  :)

Yes, but as I'm not the one to fix it (am clueless on this)...
Anyway, my immediate problem seems to be solved by going to
NFS TCP mounts instead of UDP. It hasn't hung since I started
using TCP mounts. I guess, it must be some interaction between
NAT and UDP (fragmentation maybe?) that causes the trouble...

Feico.