Subject: backup media
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/1999 09:11:18
First, sorry for the waste of bandwidth - please reply privately as this
doesn't really belong here..

I have been using a Sony DAT (DDS-2) drive for daily backups in a small
NetBSD network.  The drive has always had its bugs, needing power-cycling
every now and then, but now it seems to be dying for good.

I'd like to hear from other NetBSD users about good and reliable backup
systems.  Should I get another DAT drive or some 1/4" inch Tandberg that
a dealer recommended to me (and no-one else has ever heard about) or
just get a large disk and create tarballs on it every night?  The data
that needs backing up is valuable (to me, at least ;-)

Thanks for any thoughts,

  -jm