Subject: IPNAT confusion...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1999 11:31:06
Hi,

I think I'm a bit confused, so here's another question. I'm running
IPNAT translating for a `10.0.x.x' network to the real world. My
ipnat.conf looks like:

map ex1 10.0.0.0/8 -> 129.242.16.231/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:40000
map ex1 10.0.0.0/8 -> 129.242.16.231/32

Now the question: Even though this config only lists tcp/udp, does
ipnat in this case also map ICMP traffic, e.g. ping
packets in some way? I noticed that after a ping *through* the NAT,
a ping from the NAT box seems to stop working for some time (waiting
for the mapping to timeout maybe?). The NAT docs are a bit vague
on the ICMP business. It's not clear whether this is a feature, bug
or misconfiguration on my part...

What is the right way to handle this (or Best Current Practice?). I'd
like to be able to ping from the NAT box itself at least.

Thanks,

Feico.