Subject: Re: CVSsing methodology
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@labitzke.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1999 13:04:40
* Ingolf Koch (ingolf@djo-jena.de) [990928 12:45]:
| On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 06:29:44PM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
| > To update userland binaries after a CVS update:
| >    cd /usr/src
| >    make OBJDIR=/usr/obj UPDATE=1 build
| You might want to "make obj" again (before "make build") in
| case new directories had been created.

I would second this. But pay attention: Either, the "make obj" is done
every time after an update of the source tree and before any builds, or,
should you be unable/unwilling to ascertain this, you should do a
"make cleandir" before the "make obj". Otherwise there might be files
left in the source directory that belong in the object directory and lead
to build failures that are not really obvious. They will not be cleaned
by a "make cleandir" after the object directory got created!

Bye, Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)