Subject: Re: CVSsing methodology
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1999 21:44:54
Laine Stump writes:

[...]
> I don't know what the right command is, but this isn't it. I also tried
> something more realistic:
>
> rsync -z --delete -r anonymous@ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD-cvs/main \
> 			NetBSD-cvsroot/

Hmm, this command works(*) as I just ran it:
rsync -z -r -v --stats --progress rsync://sup.netbsd.org/anoncvs NetBSD-cvs

(*) I ran it again, and it started to update my cvs tree all over again!
    I'm guessing I need the '-a' option is needed to preserve the right info.

> as well as changing anonymous@ftp to anoncvs@anoncvs. Neither of these
> worked - they gave permission denied errors.
>
> Oh, and to even get that far I had to set RSYNC_RSH=ssh - neither of those
> machines accept incoming rsh.
>
> So, is rsync only allowed for those people who have a real account on the
> machines, or is there some way to do anonymous rsync?

No, as I am only a "NetBSD user" and I had no trouble with rsync. (other
than mentioned above)

[...]
> You should now have a full set of NetBSD sources in /usr/src! To update the
> sources:
>
>    CVS_RSH=ssh; export CVS_RSH
>    cd /usr/src
>    cvs update -d -P

Why is 'ssh' being used for this?  Is it more efficient/reliable than pserver
mode here?  Unless anoncvs.netbsd.org supports ssh with the 'no cypher' option
isn't ssh just wasting cpu cycles on both ends?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.