Subject: Re: CVSsing methodology
To: Adam Wight <>
From: Laine Stump <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1999 18:29:44
Thanks for writing up something. It is sorely needed.

At 10:19 AM 9/27/99 -0800, Adam Wight wrote:
>  Rsync can be found at:
>(Insert your OS version and platform, of course.)

Or in pkgsrc.

>   Once it is installed, a line like the following can be used to
>synchronize your CVS tree:
>rsync -z --delete -r rsync:// NetBSD-CVS/

I don't know what the right command is, but this isn't it. I also tried
something more realistic:

rsync -z --delete -r \

as well as changing anonymous@ftp to anoncvs@anoncvs. Neither of these
worked - they gave permission denied errors.

Oh, and to even get that far I had to set RSYNC_RSH=ssh - neither of those
machines accept incoming rsh.

So, is rsync only allowed for those people who have a real account on the
machines, or is there some way to do anonymous rsync?

>  CVSup is not yet supported, but will be pending the port of the language

You're probably sticking your neck out a bit here...

Also, how about a quick tutorial on setting up to do cvs from, as well as how to build source the first time, eg (a
*very* rough draft, with probably a lot of incorrect info):

Getting and Updating NetBSD Source with CVS:

1) get and install the CVS package from pkgsrc (or get it from* or

2) get and install the ssh package from pkgsrc.

3) become root

4) CVS_RSH=ssh; export CVS_RSH; export CVSROOT
   mkdir /usr/src
   cd /usr/src
   cvs checkout -P src-crypto-all (if you're in the U.S.)
   cvs checkout -P src-no-crypto  (if you're outside the U.S.)

   [insert note here about non-U.S. sources of crypto-src]

You should now have a full set of NetBSD sources in /usr/src! To update the

   CVS_RSH=ssh; export CVS_RSH
   cd /usr/src
   cvs update -d -P

Building NetBSD from source (assuming you have an up-to-date NetBSD binary
snapshot, and source in /usr/src, on your machine already):

To build userland the first time:

   mkdir /usr/obj
   cd /usr/src
   make OBJDIR=/usr/obj obj
   make OBJDIR=/usr/obj build

To update userland binaries after a CVS update:

   cd /usr/src
   make OBJDIR=/usr/obj UPDATE=1 build

These will install the new binaries on the running system - reboot to make
sure they all take effect. To build the binaries into some other location
(in case you're paranoid about tromping on a running system), just set

   make OBJDIR=/usr/obj DESTDIR=/usr/NetBSD-new-build UPDATE=1 build

[Please correct any of these that are wrong! I haven't built the system the
same way twice yet! :-P]

To build a new kernel: follow the normal kernel building directions.

Or something like that!