Subject: Re: sup problems?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1999 20:31:48
In article <m11VfK4-000g5eC@most.weird.com>,
	woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> I don't think kernel tuning is going to fix that problem.

I agree with Michael. People with shell accounts on "ftp.netbsd.org"
noticed that the machine is horribly slow, especially while accessing
the new 47GB disk. This is probably related to the very small amount
of buffers (only 8 of 384MB). And that's what the kernel update will
fix definitely.

> On Saturday (1999/09/25) I also saw that *every* single file in every
> collection was "Updated" fresh and only a very few files were "Received"
> (and it took over 11 hours to do on my 26.4kbps modem link)!

This was caused by moving the sources from the old NFS store to a new
local disk.

> My guess is that someone apparently copied all of the sup server's
> source directories and files in such a way that the sup server was
> forced to see them as needing updating.

There is now way to avoid this.

> ... that there would have been a very significant load on the sup server!

Indeed. And that together with the really poor performance on the new
disk caused a lot of trouble.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                            http://www.sighardstrasse.de/~tron/