Subject: Re: sup problems?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1999 16:11:52
> Yes, the files were moved from a disk to another.
> I think sup updates all the files dates because the creation time was changed
> (the modif time should still be the same).

Nitpick: ctime is "inode change" time, not "creation" time.

sup operates using ctime to catch changes in permissions, owner, or
group; however, i believe it doesn't copy the data unless the mod time
also changes (the messages are different in this case -- you get
"SUP Updating file %s" vs "SUP Receiving file %s").

As a bit of a digression: ctime is changed when you use utime() update
mtime or atime.  this caused trouble for me in the past because the
site i was sup'ing from did weekly backups using a tool which reset
the access time with utimes() after the backup..  which touched the
ctime, and thus forced a full resynch once a week...

					- Bill