Subject: Re: sup problems?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1999 14:16:24
[ On , September 27, 1999 at 09:27:37 (-0700), M Graff wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: sup problems?
>
> ftp.netbsd.org needs some kernel tweaks, which I am going to do
> today.  I'll ask you to try again after I finish with them; I suspect
> you'll notice much improved performance.

I don't think kernel tuning is going to fix that problem.  On Saturday
(1999/09/25) I also saw that *every* single file in every collection was
"Updated" fresh and only a very few files were "Received" (and it took
over 11 hours to do on my 26.4kbps modem link)!  (The e-mail from my
cron job with "sup -v" was 2.8MB!)

My guess is that someone apparently copied all of the sup server's
source directories and files in such a way that the sup server was
forced to see them as needing updating.  I would imagine that if Andrew
and I were not the only ones this happened to that there would have been
a very significant load on the sup server!

Things seem back to normal today.

Of course anyone who only runs sup infrequently may still have the same
"problem" and the increased load on the server may not be done with yet.

--
							Greg A. Woods