Subject: Re: sup problems?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1999 12:14:03
Aaron J. Grier writes:
> for the past couple days I haven't been able to get current-pkgsrc from
> sup...  it just times out.  Maybe it's time to switch to rsync?  ;)

I have been trying to sup over a modem link for several days now.  I
am consistently getting a 26400 connection.  Sunday I left sup running
all afternoon (with a 'ping -i 30 xxxx' also) and it finished up 7 hours
8 minutes later.  I had last run sup on Sept 21.  I ran sup again, it was
done in 15 minutes or so. (did nothing)

It didn't appear to me that a significant number of files were received,
mostly it went through and updated nearly every file.  Which is odd as
I run ntpdate on my box consistently.

I noticed that during the sup process, I believe after the initial file
information exchange, the connection is completely idle for quite some
time.  (I don't know exactly, but I believe more than 15 minutes or so)
This is why I added the 'ping -i 30' so my ISP doesn't hang up on me.

I'm not sure what all this means, other than sup seems ridiculously slow
to me over a modem.  I'm used to running it over a 128Kb ISDN link and it
never takes anywhere near 7 hours.  More like 30 minutes or less.

I would be interested in some benchmarks (times, bytes, etc) of the various
methods of updating, if anyone has any. :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.