Subject: Re: Rebuilding in ELFland is interesting.
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/1999 03:57:08
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Greywolf wrote:

> I had to rewrite the configure script to make sure that
> -I/usr/X11/include -I/usr/local/include were specified before it
> tested for headers, but that seems to work just fine.

Try (Bourne shell):

CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/X11/include -I/usr/local/include'
LDFLAGS='-Wl,-R/usr/X11/lib -L/usr/X11/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib' ./configure --x-includes=/usr/X11/include
--x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib

That should about cover it. Almost all configure scripts recognize and
save CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS. A few of the generated Makefiles may not
use the CPPFLAGS where appropriate. You can edit those.

> I am using -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11/lib before referencing any
> shared libraries, and several of the shared libraries are referencing
> points in other shared libraries but they are not resolving.

You should have -llibfoo for every library that's referenced, even
indirectly. Sometimes it works like magic without it, but the
insurance is cheap.