Subject: Rebuilding in ELFland is interesting.
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/1999 00:42:06
I keep trying to rebuild a particular piece of software (wdm, to
be exact), and the configure script is barfing horribly; specifically,
it's not finding libraries that it should be, and it is not able to
find references it should be finding.

I had to rewrite the configure script to make sure that
-I/usr/X11/include -I/usr/local/include were specified before it
tested for headers, but that seems to work just fine.

I am using -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11/lib before referencing any
shared libraries, and several of the shared libraries are referencing
points in other shared libraries but they are not resolving.

Is there a -R (or other) option I need to be using at this juncture?

I could send everything out, but I don't think it would be all that
helpful.  Suffice to say that

	cc file.c -L...  -R... -llib1 -llib2 .. -llibN

does not seem to be working.

The libraries which are being loaded are all shared, and the errors
are link-time, not run-time.

I will gladly provide specific information on request; bombarding with
the entire output PLUS the configure file was, I figure, the wrong thing
to do (the configure file is over 3000 lines).

Anyone else out there use wdm for an X-oriented login screen?

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:
	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side