Subject: Re: trouble w/ some intel 10/100 boards.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1999 16:37:17
On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 06:56:03AM -0700, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> Intel EE Pro 100 10/100 Fast Ethernet (ethernet network, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 18 function 0 not configured

This card is not currently supported by any driver I know of.

> I get this with both of two boards, small modern-looking buggers with an
> 82557/82553 chipset. fxp attaches ok, but then ukphy panics in ifmedia_set,
> something about 0x20/ffffffff not matching.

These PHYs do not support autonegotiation (they may be T4 models),
which triggers a bug in the MII layer.

As a quick'n'dirty hack until that bug is fixed, you can change
IFM_AUTO in dev/ic/i82557.c:fxp_mii_initmedia() to IFM_10_T.

You can also just remove ukphy from your kernel configuration.

> According to the hardware web page for mii, the 82553 uses a "iophy" driver
> but I can't find that in -current sys/dev/mii (config claims it is an
> unknown driver, of course).

iophy(4) is in -current (try updating) but not in GENERICs,
because it doesn't work with common (okay, relatively common..)
82553 variants, although of course, ukphy(4) doesn't help you
much in that case either :-)

--
Soren