Subject: Re: USB ZIP driver improvements
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1999 11:41:55
On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:10:04 +0200
 Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net> wrote:

 > I'm curious, how do you handle a mounted disk that is unplugged?

the vnode is vgone'd, so all further I/O on the mount point will fail.

 > Do you do the equivalent of 'umount -f'?

No, no unmounting is done.  But, see above :-)

 > For Mass Storage Devices an alternative would be not to detach the
 > device at once, but hope that it will reappear shortly.  The serial number
 > of the device can be used to detect if the same device reappears.

Two problems:

	What happens if the device never comes back?

	What about other SCSI disks (like ones plugged into PCMCIA cards)
	which don't have this serial number facility?

I think the best option is to have an unmount happen, and to use amd to
mount the disk in the first place (so you only have to cd back into the
directory to get it back, once the device exists again).