Subject: Re: fortune makefiles incorrect ?
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@earthlink.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/1999 08:53:41
On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Laine Stump wrote:

> None of this explains why it is that I must install the includes into the
> running system (ie /usr/include) before I can build (I encountered the same
> problem as Darren with sys/endian.h, and doing "make includes" did not
> solve it - I have DESTDIR set, and apparently the compilations aren't
> looking in $DESTDIR/usr/include, only in /usr/include.) This makes DESTDIR
> much less useful.

Which includes are pointed to in .depends in the fortune build dir?
"make includes" only installs the includes in $DESTDIR. You have to
have DESTDIR set when you "make depends" in order to use them.

I know it works in the general case, because removing $DESTDIR after a
"make build" with DESTDIR set and UPDATE unset, causes "make all" in a
subdir not to work anymore. I hate when that happens, but it has to be
that way in order for cross-compiles to work.

If the paths in .depends don't begin with $DESTDIR, something is broken.