Subject: Re: [wscons] Switching off backlight of LCD ?
To: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1999 18:21:23
hwr@pilhuhn.de said:
> Just an idea (not verified): pcmcia slots can be powered down iirc.
> Perhaps there is already some logic to get the XX for the appropriate
> pcmcia slot which can just be reused for the screen.

I've checked on my Thinkpad: XX == 00, all other values
lead to an "unsupported device id" or so.
As I wrote in another mail, the BIOS didn't like the
attempt to power down the screen that much though.
(It might be worth playing with the APM disable/disengage
stuff. The specification is not too clear about the meaning
of this however, and perhaps BIOS authors disagree about
the interpretation too.)
(Btw. an attempt to set the harddisk to sleep leads to
a complete machine hangup for me.)

best regards
Matthias