Subject: Re: getting meta to work in wscons
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1999 11:53:40
Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de> writes:
> [add :km: to termcap]
>
> While this solves the ALT key problem, it makes it
> impossible to type in umlauts or other non-ASCII
> characters - the application (ie emacs) treats them
> as ALT combinations.
> I don't have an idea yet how to deal with this
> reasonably.

Well, the two solutions are:

1) To add *two* wscons vt220 termcap entries -- one that does :km: and
   one that doesn't. This is not inefficient thanks to termcap's
   include facility.
2) To add an option to wscons to do the "send esc then char when
   alt-char is hit" as an alternative to setting the eighth bit. PCVT
   allowed both behaviors depending on a knob setting.

Doing both of these would seem to be optimal. For me, setting the
eighth bit is fine -- for others, having the option to do the second
instead would be good. Having a knob to turn is a good thing.

Perry