Subject: README: NTFS usable
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1999 17:43:51
Hi,
I've commited final changes to make NTFS stable enough to be really
usable for public. The kernel won't panic on it's face when trying
to mount NTFS volume, it's no more possible to panic the kernel with
innocent lseek()/read() or lseek()/write() sequence and the file names
with non-iso-8859-1 characters are handled a bit more consistently
(though still only iso-8859-1 is supported).

As it's now, reads are about half of ffs speed. I don't know whether
I should take it as "good" or not. Anyway, there seem to be ways
how to optimize the code to do better and I'll try to do something with it.
Also, pathconf(2) is not supported for NTFS yet and NTFS is not
NFS exportable (does anyone care ?). These two should be addressed
shortly. Furthermore, some way has to be though out to support file
names using other character sets than just iso-8859-1.

There is limited writing ability - it's possible to overwrite contents
of the file, but not changing it's size or removing/creating files.
That's primarily usable for using the NTFS for swap file or such.
Anyway, the writing has not been tested adequately yet and you should not
mount NTFS volume read-write unless you are difinitely ready to
restore the trashed data from a backup. "You have been warned".
Full writing support could happen eventually, but that's rather complex
task and won't happen any time soon.

Please note that the NTFS code has been written by Semen Ustimeko
from the FreeBSD team. We are cooperating closely to enhance NTFS
it further and make it damn the best and most stable freeware NTFS
implementation around :) And one day, we may even beat MS's
implementation, who knows :)))

Please send-pr any eventual problems you might have.

Best regards,

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
"The only way how to get rid temptation is to yield to it." -- Oscar Wilde