Subject: Re: fortune makefiles incorrect ?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1999 17:40:07
In some email I received from Simon Burge, sie wrote:
> Darren Reed wrote:

> > > What arguments do you think should be included?  The host compiler may
> > > not be gcc...
> >
> > So ?  I guess I just don't understand why this file should be any different
> > to the hundreds of others.
>
> Because the executable runs on the host to generate the fortune .dat
> files.  Think cross-compile environments...

So we want to use the HOST_CC BUT with the flags being used to get the
correct include files, etc.

I suspect there is a similar problem with config(8):

install  -d -o root -g wheel -m 755 /current/obj/alpha/release/installation/misc
cd /current/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/conf && config  -b /current/usr/src/sys/arch/
alpha/compile/GENERIC -s /current/usr/src/sys GENERIC
/current/usr/src/sys/conf/files:416: syntax error

- ideally it should be running /current/usr/sbin/config rather than config
but again, cross compile issues, etc.  Surely, in an environment where the
destination architecture is the same as the current architecture and there
is no change in executable type (i.e. ELF target bin and currently running
ELF bins) then it should be able to do something to enable it to run the
right program (start a subshell with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, etc).

What I expected to find, when building a release, was to be able to build
it just like any other application - that is prior to installation, it
doesn't disturb the running setup in any way and stays self contained.
Is this goal possible to achieve ?

Darren