Subject: Re: Suggestion for ftp site...
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1999 11:37:23
David Brownlee wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> > David Brownlee wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm - the boot.fs.gz images are less of an issue, but it _would_
> > > be nice if someone could come up with a mod to ftpd that would
> > > automatically generate split sets on demand. That would save disk
> > > space and time for admin,s plus allow any file to have split
> > > sets as needed.
> >
> > This should be able to be done without any changes to ftpd by using the
> > right conversion program, and putting something like:
> >
> > 	conversion all .sta df .notar /path/to/conv/program %s
> > 	conversion all .stz df .notar /path/to/conv/program -z %s
> >
> > in /etc/ftpd.conf, where /path/to/conv/program spits out what represents
> > a tar file (sta - Split TAr, stz - Split Tar gZip -- betters suffix
> > names accepted with glee!) and take a file or directory name as a
> > command line arg.  Writing this program is left as an excercise to
> > the reader, but would be simpler than changing ftpd :)  Since intimate
> > knowledge of the tar file format would need to be known, maybe tar (or
> > pax?) is the right place for this mod...
> >
> > If this is incoherent, I know what I mean - ask again and I'll try
> > to clearer :-)
>
> 	I'm afriad I'm consuded here - assume a user wants to get
> 	the base.tgz, but all split for floppies. They would type
> 	"get base.tgz.sta"? or
> 	"mget base.tgz.sta*"?

If a user typed "get base.tgz.sta", they would get a tar file that
contained "base.tgz" split up into itty bitty pieces.  Hmm, seems we
need a parameter to say what size the itty bitty pieces need to be...

I'm assuming that someone would want to download one tar file of the
itty bitty pieces, extract that tar file and dump the itty bitty pieces
onto floppies.  If this assumption is wrong, I offer no suggestions :-)

Simon.