Subject: Re: LVD scsi card recommendations
To: (NetBSD/current-users Maillist) <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1999 11:00:25

    seebs> In message
    seebs> <Pine.GSO.4.05.9909011130100.22302-100000@cynic.anim.dreamworks.com>
    seebs> , David Brownlee writes:
    >> Looking to get a new rackmount P-III system up and wondered what
    >> people recommended for a PIC LVD SCSI card (It seems something of a
    >> waste to get a 9GB LVD cheetah and to not have a LVD controller :)

    seebs> I assume you mean "PCI".  If we drive it, the Symbios '895 is a
    seebs> nice card, and about half the price of the Adaptec 2940U2W.  In
    seebs> general, I've been pretty happy with Symbios cards...

  The work well with disks, but suck for some reason with slower devices
(e.g. tape drives). This is my experience with both NetBSD and Linux (which
shares the NCR code from *BSD). A 2940 solved both systems' problems.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [