Subject: Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI 97
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1999 17:51:00
    Date:        1 Sep 1999 18:44:58 GMT
    From:        magick@bundy.lip.owl.de (Mario Kemper)

  | Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (audio multimedia, revision 0x06) at pci0 dev 12 function 0
  | not configured

I also have a driver that is part done.   It gets as far as recognising the
card, and the codec - but doesn't have anything in it to init the rate
converter required by ac97 codecs.

I basically stopped work on this, as someone sometime, said that they had
a driver that had ben sent to someone else to be reviewed, before being
added to the tree.   That was a couple of months ago now I think.  Since
then I have heard nothing.

If someone does have any kind of probably working driver for this chipset,
please make it available widely (just make it available for local ftp, or
if you can't do that, e-mail it to me, and I will make it ftpable).
There are enough people around who can test how well it works, and if
needed, give it a little working over - but there's no point in lots of
us all out there writing the same code.

My driver reports at boot ...

eax0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (rev. 0x06)
eax0: interrupting at irq 11
eax0: codec CRY rev 3 supports: 0x0150
audio0 at eax0: full duplex

The "supports: 0x0150" is the bit map of codec functions supported, which
ought be reported in words, not hex, but at the time, that was not the
highest priority.   Unless "it doesn't crash the system" can be considered
working, it doesn't work (provides no useful functionality at all).

I initially assumed that the eap driver ought be able to be modified to
support the AudioPCI 97 (one driver, with a few lower level functions).
It turns out that they're different enough that I doubt this is really
sensible.

kre