Subject: Re: Can AnonCVS be used with ppp connection?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1999 00:21:02
On 1 Sep 1999, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> In article <37CD33DF.CB39D9A7@ms25.url.com.tw>,
> "doc" is very small collection with only a few files.
>
> > Can you tell me which option should I use with pppd?
>
> You should use "crtscts" and "modem" to use hardware handshake on the
> serial port. And if you connect to a terminal server which negotiates
> a weird maximum receive size like 1504 you might want to use
> "mru 576 mtu 576" or "mru 1500 mtu 1500", too.

My ISP servers all use 1524, and for the 486DX4 + 28,800 ISA modem,
this works fine. I idea, I think, is to take the 1500 byte packets
sent through ethernets in the path, add the ppp header, and pass them
unbroken through the ppp connection. The admins often recommend
dropping mtu (and so mru) to 576 for Windows* machines that can't stay
connected, but reports are that it rarely, if ever, helps.

I forgot... Was the original problem the connection dropping, or the
sup timing out?